These Chocolate Cardamom Sweet Potato Cookies are perfect, whether you’re celebrating Thanksgiving later this month or just want a dessert for this glorious season that is fall.
It’s no secret that we all love this time of year. The weather is sometimes cold, sometimes warm, and something in between. We’ve said goodbye to the carefree days of summer but thankfully, the holiday season is approaching and that’s always something to be super excited about. I for one can’t wait to watch all the cheesy made for TV holiday movies to my heart’s content. Now that is living.
My fellow bloggers from the BGB Community are each sharing a Friendsgiving recipe, and when I think of both fall and Thanksgiving, I immediately think of sweet potatoes. These are one of my fave fall foods (or in general, really) and I’ve always wanted to try baking with them. Since pumpkin pie spices go super well with sweet potatoes, I’ve combined those with gluten-free brown rice flour, coconut oil, eggs, and some cocoa powder for a sweet treat that is still good for you.
I used cardamom for the first time recently for a pumpkin pie recipe, and since I still have a huge bottle, I added it to these cookies. It gives a really nice flavor, even if, let’s be real, it doesn’t smell super great.
Baking with sweet potatoes is super simple. All you have to do is roast the sweet potato, mash it when it’s done, and combine with the other ingredients. It’s so simple I might just do this every day.
Sounds like a good idea to me.
- Dry ingredients:
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- Wet ingredients:
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ¾ cup almond milk
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Put parchment on a baking sheet.
- Cut the sweet potato in three pieces and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until totally soft.
- Bring the oven temperature down to 350 and line another baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together your dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix together your wet ingredients.
- Combine all the ingredients.
- Form the cookies on the parchment paper.
- Bake for 30 minutes.