Poor carbs. They get zero love.
The thing about carbs is there’s so much confusion about which ones are healthy, how much we should consume of them, and what causes weight gain. Those are definitely the right questions since we all know that too much of anything (even a good and healthy thing like quinoa) won’t make us very happy in the end. But carbohydrates aren’t evil, and when eaten in proper portions, they’re a really good idea.
Our bodies need carbs, particularly for exercise.
And that’s why you should make my Blueberry Brown Rice Salad.
Brown rice is a super healthy carb. So you definitely can enjoy this for a lunch or dinner side. Or add protein like chicken, steak or salmon and you’ve got an easy and delicious meal.
I added blueberries because they make everything better (just pure fact), cucumbers and radishes for some crunch, and dressed the whole thing with some lemon juice and parsley. You can add some olive oil and balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar if you want more of a dressing. But I like it this way because the flavors of the produce shines through.
It’s interesting how much controversy there is over brown and white rice, especially in the healthy food, gluten-free/Paleo world. You’ve probably seen a lot of people starting to introduce white rice back into their diets. Some people say brown rice actually isn’t healthy because of anti-nutrients. But others say it’s fine to eat. So it’s really your personal choice which one you want to go with.
Since I have blood sugar issues, white rice and I aren’t friends, so I love brown rice.
You could even swap out the rice altogether and use quinoa or sweet potatoes and this dish would still be delicious.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 and ½ cups water
- 1 package grape tomatoes
- 1 cucumber, sliced thinly
- ½ cup blueberries
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- a few handfuls of parsley
- Salt and pepper
- First, make your rice: bring brown rice and water to a boil. Then simmer for 40 minutes.
- Alternatively, you can follow your package directions and adjust the amounts.
- Once rice is cooked, add to a big bowl with the tomatoes, cucumbers, and blueberries. Give it a quick toss.
- Add your lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir everything together.
- If you want more of a salad dressing, you can add olive oil, balsamic vinegar and/or a splash of honey.
Are you a brown rice or white rice person? What’s your favourite way to eat it?