Like mother, like daughter. For Mother’s Day, I’m sharing a special recipe: my mom’s breakfast obsession (aka her favourite oatmeal in the world).
I’m lucky enough to have a super cool mom that is my best friend. We joke that we’re just like Rory and Lorelai Gilmore, and it couldn’t be more true. We like the same pop culture stuff (she’s just as into Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber as I am, and don’t get her started on Nashville), share a crippling caffeine addiction, and generally just get along really well.
Plus there are the times when we go shopping at Urban Outfitters, go our separate ways, then come back 10 minutes later.
With the same dresses.
My Mom’s Favourite Oatmeal is super sweet, thanks to the raisins and blueberries, and when you microwave everything together, the raisins and banana slices plump up like crazy. It’s like magic. But oatmeal is already pretty magical, which just tells you how delicious this breakfast recipe is.
Tell your mom you love her today (but you should probably do that every day, just saying). And make her this oatmeal. But don’t serve it without coffee on the side. That would just be cruel.
- ½ cup oats (we both like Bob's Red Mill gluten-free)
- ¾ cup water
- handful of banana slices
- handful of blueberries (or any berries you want)
- handful of raisins
- more banana slices, blueberries, raisins and walnuts
- Put the oats, water, banana slices, blueberries and raisins in a large bowl.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Serve with your desired toppings, such as blueberries and walnuts.