Donuts definitely fall into the Nostalgic Baked Goods category. Like muffins and cupcakes and ice cream, they’re the kind of treats that were either a weekly or special occasion kind of thing when you were growing up. I was never the biggest donut eater but I did love getting vanilla and sprinkle covered donuts from a certain coffee chain here in Canada. Maybe one day I will try to recreate those (but without the gluten and dairy and refined sugar, of course).
My grandma gave me a donut pan last summer and ever since, I’ve wanted to try my hand at donut recipes and finally got around to it. These strawberry coconut donuts are sweet – not too sweet, but just enough, thanks to the fruit and only 1 tablespoon of honey. The oat flour and coconut flour add sweetness as well – and there’s a double does of amazing coconut flavor thanks to the coconut flour and oil (my favorite oil to bake with).
I’m absolutely obsessed with oats in all forms — oatmeal to start my day with and oat flour to bake with. It was an amazing day when I started making recipes using oat flour. It’s so cool how many different kinds of flour are out there, either gluten-free or totally grain-free, from coconut to almond to brown rice. You can even make your own flour from other nuts like cashews or pecans. The possibilities are literally endless (as long as you don’t mind some fun experiments).
These donuts are light and fluffy, just the way you want a donut to be, and since they’re baked and made from totally clean ingredients they’re much healthier than the typical fried ones.
You can enjoy one for an afternoon snack, for dessert or even as part of your breakfast, since there’s only a tiny amount of sweetener (and you could totally omit the honey entirely).
Were there any donut flavours that you adored as a kid?
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- DRY INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup oat flour (grind oats in a blender or food processor to make a fine flour)
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- WET INGREDIENTS:
- ¼ cup coconut oil (melted in the microwave)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp honey
- Splash of unsweetened almond milk (or any non-dairy milk)
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees and grease a 6-cavity donut pan with coconut oil.
- Puree the strawberries in a blender until mostly smooth (it's okay if there are some chunky bits).
- In a large bowl, mix together your dry ingredients: oat flour, coconut flour and baking powder.
- In another bowl, add your strawberry puree to the wet ingredients: coconut oil, eggs and honey. Add a splash of almond milk.
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients together. The batter shouldn't be super runny or too wet but it should be a slightly pourable consistency.
- Spoon the batter into your donut pan.
- Bake for 25-27 minutes (I know this is a super specific time but with my oven, 27 minutes was the sweet spot).